Friday 4 May 2012

Planning and Preperation II








Further Preparation

I have just come back from my little training ride. Little it most definitely is, I have just completed 33 Km ride from the Chalet in the Contamines to the round about just before Megeve and back. It climbs, therefore it is worth a lot more than the distance suggests. Honest!

Here's the map and elevation so you can decide for yourself.


I am getting ready to set off from Les Contamines-Monjoie where I have been spending the winter to the start point of my adventure St Bonnet de Mure. I have been working in a sports shop, kitting people out in ski gear and having a lot of fun up the mountains. Luckily for me it is a well known fact that altitude training is essential for good performance. So therefore, the climbing up and down was worth at least another 20Km, then the altitude must also be worth another 20Km! Delusion is a key part of my psyche and a great motivational tool.


Kit List




I have just created a kit list to see what I need and what I have. Obviously being on a budget makes life tricky, but I feel like I have the makings of a good trip. As you can see from the picture, there are a few notable holes. The lack of panniers is getting to the point of being critical. I have found a great set of panniers that look hard to beat for the price. I think these will be great and for €30.00, I don't believe I can go wrong. It is called the PONT AR CYCLO 3 SACS and is by Nakamura.


I hope to be able to pick this up in Lyon tomorrow as well as a porte baggage (rack). I will also be picking up spare inner tubes, a sleeping bag, a micro fibre (quick dry) towel, flip flops and sunglasses. This should ensure I have all the kit I need. I am still trying to decide whether or not I need a speedometer. This can be a great motivational tool, allowing you to see your speed and distance covered, helping spur you on. However, I have yet to decide whether or not it is worth the expense.



You may have noticed that I am also waiting on my bank card. This should arrive on Monday or Tuesday so that I can set off soon after receiving it. I still need travel insurance. Mother (I do love her) insists that I must get some. I have been looking online but can't find anything easy and cheap. More importantly for me is the question of Chamois cream. Is this really worth the money? My saddle sores have more to do with sore sit bones than rubbing. I have never ridden so far and for so long, so this may be worth the expense. 

Route Planning

I have been doing more work on trying to get my route planned out. Yesterday, I gave details of the Route to get to My Father's place in St Marsal. This also happens to be my final trip in France. Following on from this rest stop, I will be heading straight into Spain. For those who do not know, there is a little natural barrier separating the two countries. It is called the Pyrenees Mountain Range. After climbing this obstacle, I have a choice to make. There are 2 natural routes that I could take. 

The first, is the logical one and follows the South coast of Spain. Advantages include a pretty flat route (Sierra Nevada apart), the beach every day, plenty of cheap places to stay, and did I mention the sea? 

The other route involves cutting inland via Madrid. Now for those of you that didn't know (me included before this), Madrid is on a high plain, about 700m above sea level. For reference this is the same as St Marsal, the highest point I reach in France. It also involves a lot of up and down, over and through a number of valleys. However, it is shorter by 100Km. That is huge! But on the downside, it goes through less sparsely populated areas, which would be very cool but potentially more expensive. 

As you can see, my mind is pretty made up. I think the southern route will be better. As a quick outline, I have put together the following as a rough guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment